Frequently Asked Questions

Building and Space Management:

  • Who should I call for building maintenance and repairs in the HCHB?  Please call:
    • Building Management Division, extension 1340, for assistance with heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing, and elevators.
    • Facilities Services Division, extension 3555, for assistance with cleaning services,  food services, meeting room reservations, and pest control
    • Space Management Division, extension 1348, for assistance with office alterations, refurbishments, and furniture.
  • Who do I call if I detect unusual odors or excessive and disruptive noise?
    • If you believe the issue is life threatening, call the HCHB emergency number 22222.  Otherwise please call Building Management, extension 21340.
  • How do I get a picture or whiteboard hung in my office?
    • Submit a Work Request form CD-410 to the Building Management office in room 1323.
  • Who do I call to replace lost keys to my desk or systems furniture?
    • Call the Space Management Division, extension 21348.
  • Who do I call for mail, printing, and related services?
    • Call the Mail and Multi-media Division, extension 21348.

Sustainable Energy and Environmental Programs:

  • Where can I find guidance on energy and environmental programs within the Department of Commerce?
    • Department Administrative Order (DAO 217-16) and the Energy and Environmental Management Manual (E&EMM) contain guidance on energy and environmental programs and can be found on the Office of Sustainable Energy and Environmental Program’s (OSEEP) documents page.
  • How can I nominate a Department of Commerce individual or team for an energy or environmental stewardship award?
    • Guidance on the Department of Commerce’s Energy and Environmental Stewardship award program is available on OSEEP’s awards program page.  The award nomination form is also available on-line and can be completed and submitted on-line as well.
  • How is the Department of Commerce doing on energy and environmental sustainability goals?
  • What are the Commerce Operating Units (OU) doing in the field of energy and environmental stewardship?
    • Copies of OSEEP’s Quarterly Newsletters highlight efforts by each of the OUs and can be found on OSEEP’s newsletter page.
  • If I have a great idea to help conserve energy across the Department or help the Department become a better steward of the environment, how can I get involved?
    • Join the HCHB Green Team.  Send an email to with your contact information.

Office of Facilities and Environmental Quality
Office of the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce

Send questions and comments about this page to

Page last updated:January 18, 2018