Small Business Specialists work to:
- Increase contract and subcontract awards to small businesses
- Share information via the Internet
- Identify potential small businesses for use by DOC, its bureaus and prime contractors
- Negotiate Commerce contract goals with the Small Business Administration in and effort to continually increase awards to small business
- Assist in helping publish the annual 'Forecast of Contract Opportunities' which lists upcoming procurements
- Review procurement requisitions to maximize small business participation
- Monitor small business legislation
- Establish partnerships with internal customers, and industry to obtain feedback, improve customer service, achieve goals and disseminate information, and
- Create awareness of the benefits of working with small businesses through in-reach/marketing and training.
There are several 'Buying Authorities' (Acquisition Offices) that facilitate purchases for the different offices at DOC. Basically, there is no one central acquisition office. To help you do business with DOC, Small Business Specialist work closely with their respective Acquisition Office and Program Managers.
Office of the Secretary Small Business Specialist:
How to do business with the Federal Government