Scott Boyer Quehl
Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration
Scott Quehl currently serves as the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration at the U.S. Department of Commerce. Mr. Quehl’s responsibilities include strategy, formulation, and execution of the Department’s $7+ billion budget, service as Chief Human Capital Officer for over 46,000 employees, Chief Acquisition Officer for procurement of over $2 billion in goods and services, Chair of the Department Management Council, Co-Chair of the Department’s Labor Management Council, and Co-Chair of the Commerce Information Technology Risk Review Board. He also directs the Department’s financial controls and reporting, facilities and other administrative services, privacy and open government functions, program evaluation and risk management, civil rights, security, and the development of the Department’s integration of its business customer services infrastructure, consistent with the President’s Executive Order for BusinessUSA. Mr. Quehl reports to the Deputy Secretary and is a senior advisor to the Secretary.
Before receiving his commission, Mr. Quehl supported local, state, and national governments in 14 states, the District of Columbia, and four countries in financial stabilization, service delivery improvement, cost containment, revenue enhancement, competitive contracting, workforce, organizational consolidation, infrastructure, and capital market initiatives. He did so as:
- Senior Managing Director at Public Resources Advisory Group
- Managing Director and Co-Head of the Infrastructure Advisory Group for Tax-Exempt Capital Markets at JP Morgan Securities, Inc.
- Managing Director at Public Financial Management, Inc. where he led in the formation and operations of the firm’s Strategic Consulting practice
- Chief Financial Officer of the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia
- Special Assistant to the Controller of the United States in the Office of Federal Financial Management of the Office of Management & Budget in the Executive Office of the President
- Country Officer for the Dominican Republic and other consulting functions in the Latin America & Caribbean Division at the World Bank
Mr. Quehl also lived and worked in Honduras as a United States Peace Corps Volunteer and has been published by The World Bank Group, Brookings Review, and Government Finance Review.
He holds a master’s in government administration from the Fels Institute of Government of the University of Pennsylvania, a bachelor’s in history and political science from Lawrence University, and held FINRA NASD Series 24, 63, and 7 licenses while at JP Morgan Securities, Inc. He is a fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration.
Mr. Quehl and his wife, Valerie Piper, son, Mark, and dog, Leopold, currently reside in Alexandria, Virginia.
Office of the Chief Financial Officer and Assistant Secretary for Administration
Office of the Secretary
U.S. Department of Commerce
This page was updated on January 17, 2012